Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Meaning of Our Wedding

For so long, I’ve struggled with this post. Most likely because I had struggled to define what a “wedding” truly was.

Our wedding was August 5th.

0657_thumb10

The ceremony was Matt and mine.

0717_thumb2

We chose the readings; even though Matt is not religious, he let me include some bible passages and he chose some poems. My family was included in the ceremony, even though they could all not be part of the wedding party.

ricklesliemike_thumb2

Matt read “These I Can Promise” and I cried when I read back “Love” by Roy Croft.

0628_thumb2

(I didn’t make it past the first line without starting to cry.)

0633_thumb2

We exchanged rings, kissed, and held hands.

ceremony_thumb

But that was only the first 15 minutes of the “wedding”- the part that was for us.

The rest of the wedding was for a memory…

The dresses… (The girls wore vintage slip dresses, handmade by Amanda Rose.)

0419_thumb

The fans…

fans_thumb

The flowers…

0148_thumb

The venue…

0854_thumb

The little pieces I made, even the photographer missed- the remembrance candles, the table numbers, the guest book… Everything our wedding was about was for family (and friends, you are our family, too).

grakowskyfamily_thumb

Our wedding wasn’t just about the vows, the dresses, the rings, the flowers… It was about the people who came to it, who love us, who are our Family. We put so much of ourselves into designing the perfect evening for our guests *because* we were not only celebrating our union, but those people who came to share it with us. At least, this is how I felt through the whole process.

And that’s what made it a little heartbreaking when people who were expected to be there didn’t show up. And I don’t just mean friends and family from out of town- Matt’s own grandparents and my uncle didn’t come. They didn’t just not show up- their RSVP was a decline. It’s easy to say it’s their loss- the other guests would say they missed great food and a beautiful party- but it is our loss, too. However, I have become more thankful for the people who chose to be part of our lives and appreciate us ever more so.

There were so many ups and downs, excitement and disappointments, happiness and tears that were unexpected. But in the end, it was a labor of love, in many different ways, and what memories were made to look back on!

0796_thumb

0445_thumb

0584_thumb

0610_thumb

0946_thumb

1010_thumb

1038_thumb

1031_thumb

7 comments:

Jennifer Grenko said...

What a beautiful day! So sweet of you to share it with us!

Karen said...

I think it looked like a BEAUTIFUL day my friend. I wish I had taken the time for the "small things" but ... I just didn't know to do them back then. AH HA! But if a "someday" new DIL wants my help - boy do I have ideas for her! But it's her day - and she may not want them - oh well!
Remember the good parts up front, tuck the sadder parts away, and just enjoy your new life! We just celebrated 31 - HOLY COW! It goes by so fast!
{{clink!}} here's to your next 30 years!
HUGS!
Karen

Kristen Pare said...

Julie Ann it looks wonderful and you are a beautiful bride. Thank you for sharing with us! I share a similar story; in the end, I just tucked those negatives away and remember all the love and goodness from that day. Just celebrated 17 yrs together -12 married! Congrats on your wonderful new married life. Kris

shabbyfufu said...

Thank you for the sweet comment on my blog about the chandelier. So happy to come over here and find a BEAUTIFUL bride this morning! Wishing you a BEAUTIFUL life ahead.....xo

Cathy said...

Julie Ann,

What a lovely post. You are sweet, sweet person and the two people who mattered most at your wedding were you and your husband. It looks like it was a lovely, lovely day and I am so glad you have found someone to share your joy and the rest of your life with. I think of you all the time and hope that some day we will meet again.

You are always in my heart and I wish you the best in your new journey called "marriage". BTW, you looked awesome on your wedding day.

xo Cathy

vintage wedding band said...

Firstly, I want to congratulate the couple. Wish you a very happy married life ahead. You two look great together. I really like decoration and venue of the wedding. I am going to try some design in my sister’s wedding. Thanks for sharing your special moment with us.

illustrator training sydney said...

Congratulation both of you. I like your post thanks for sharing this wonderful memory. You looking so pretty and I like very much your wedding dress.